After two successful drinkups, we finally held our first london d3.js meetup.
Special thanks to @timruffles, @CiaranR, and Skimlinks people for providing the venue, pizzas, beers and a talk.
Here is the list of topics we mentioned during/after the meetup.
Introduction and Announcement.
- In December, we are going to have a joint Xmas party with other meetup groups.
- Register Google Group or check Lanyard for meetup minutes and future announcements.
Talk 1: Introduction to d3.js
- d3.js creator's website with lots of sample and tutorials
- Video tutorials by @enjalot
- nvd3.org = Collection of reusable APIs
One important note is that svg (which people use d3.js with) is not supported on legacy browsers. There are a few work arounds
- d3renderer = This module enables us to create server-side d3 svg image.
- r2d3 = Customized build of D3 powered by RaphaelJS
Talk 2: Show and tell
- By @sztanko
- By @makoto_inoue and @olivernn
- Talk slide
- "Use The force" talk slide is a good resource to learn the force layout
Pub talk topics
- Olympic Rivalry = An example of using a chord diagram
- Visualizing the Structure of Pop Music = (Not d3, but interesting use of the Chord diagram)
- LondonR user meetup = Maybe interesting to have a joint hack day to mix data science and data vizualization together
- We had 36 signups and around 25 turn-ups
- About half the attendees were new to d3.js, so was good to have an introductory talk
- The frequency of the meetup is a request driven. Please suggest if you have any topics you want to talk or hear
- Probably the next meetup is about showing off what you have hacked over the Christmas/New Year